Riddle-me, riddle-me, riddle-me-ree,
Perhaps you can tell what this riddle may be:
As deep as a house, as round as a cup,
And all the king’s horses can’t draw it up.
As a change from flash fiction stories, this time here are ten fairly mind-boggling riddles. I’ve not given any answers, they can all be found easily on the internet.
However, don’t be in too much of a hurry to look them up!
Like good crossword clues, the answers usually seem obvious once you know them, but getting there can require some pretty extensive lateral thinking!
With thanks to author, Nancy Richy for giving me the idea and providing some really good ones!
• I can only live where there is light but I will die if light shines on me. What am I?
• In 1990 a person is 15 years old. In 1995 that same person is ten years old. How can this be?
• Four men were fishing in a boat on a lake. The boat turned over and all four men sank to the bottom of the lake. And yet not one single man got wet. How could this be? [and they weren’t wearing wet suits!]
• What disappears the moment you say its name?
• It is greater than God and more evil than the Devil. The poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it you will die. What is it?
• The more there is of me, the less you see. What am I?
• What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?
• You can see me in water, but I never get wet. What am I?
• What English word retains the same pronunciation when you take away four of its five letters?
• If Teresa’s daughter is my daughter’s mother, what am I to Teresa?
Featured in the book, To Cut a Short Story Short, vol. II: 88 Little Stories
- To purchase the stories on To Cut a Short Story Short up to December 2021 in paperback, Kindle, eBook, and audio-book form, and for news on new titles, please see Shop.
- If you are interested in joining Write Away, a fortnightly story group (giving a choice of 250, 500 or 750 word assignments) please contact me and I’ll be pleased to send details.
- Don’t forget to check out some of the other stories on this blog. There are over 350!